Northern Valley Human Service Zone

Northern Valley Human Service Zone


Cavalier County Location Pembina County Location Walsh County Location
324 7th Ave PO Box 630 300 Boundary Rd W #3 Chase Building 516 Cooper Ave
Langdon, ND 58249 Cavalier, ND 58220 Grafton, ND 58237
Telephone: (701) 256-2175 Telephone: (701) 265-8441 Telephone:(701) 352-5111
Fax: (701) 256-2179 Fax: (701) 265-8058 Fax: (701) 352-5060
E-Mail: [email protected] E-Mail: [email protected] E-Mail: [email protected]


Zone Meeting Agendas:

zone board agenda 08.09.2022

Zone Agenda 2.10.2020

Zone agenda April 2021


Mission Statement:

To provide quality, efficient and effective human services which improve the lives of people.


Northern Valley Human Service Zone makes every effort to insure that confidentiality is maintained in regards to a client’s situation and services provided to the client.  Clients are asked, however, to sign an Authorization to Release Information so that information can be acquired on behalf of the client, or so that services can be coordinated with other providers of service to them.


This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability,
age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin,
sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in
any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g.
Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local)
where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities
may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program
information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint
Form, (AD-3027), found online at:, and at any
USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information
requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your
completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: [email protected].
For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues,
persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in
Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by
State); found online at:
To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through
the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights,
Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or
(800) 537-7697 (TTY).
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Northern Valley Human Service Zone Staff Members (Langdon Location):

Jill Denault, LSW, Zone Director

Susan Fetsch-Crockett, Licensed Social Worker III

Megin Mitchell, Social Worker III

Kim Rude, Administrative Assistant I

Holly Fetsch, Acct Tech II



Zone Board Members:

  • Stanley Dick, Chairperson
  • Debra Fraser, Vice-Chairperson
  • Karen Anderson, Member
  • Manny Doyle, Member
  • Amy Kram, Member
  • Janne Myrdal, Member
  • Steph Welsh, Member
  • Ann West, Member

Social Service Programs:

Children’s Special Health Services

Diagnostic services for treatment for children who have certain crippling conditions, i.e. cerebral palsy, cleft lip and palate, diabetes, hearing loss, heart condition, scoliosis, spina bifida, etc.  There are income and asset maximums for eligibility.


Day Care Licensing

Complete licensing for center, group, and family daycares.


Foster Care Licensing

The provision of substitute parental child care when children need to be removed from their home.  Licensure is required.  The process involves making application to County Social Services, a home study, fire and safety checks of the home, and references.  Cavalier County is in great need of foster care homes!


Prime Time Day Care

Paid child care for families in crisis.  These services are intended to enable parents to attend parenting classes, therapy, drug/alcohol treatment, or respite from parenting responsibilities.


Parent Aide Services

This program is to empower parents to more effectively parent their children.  This service helps prevent out-of-home placements.


Crossroads Program

Program that may be available to young parents who are age 20 years or under, who are the primary caretaker of their child, and who are pursuing their high school diploma, alternative high school placement, or a GED program.  Childcare costs are paid for child while parent is attending school.


Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)

Family Home Care Home Assists persons who are experiencing difficulty living independently and unable to provide for their own needs.


Homemaker/Personal Care

Assistance to complete environmental tasks that an elderly or disabled individual is not able to complete himself in order to maintain that individual’s own home.


Child Protection Services

Social Services is mandated by law to complete an assessment with regard to all alleged concerns our agency receives regarding children, ages 0-18, who are allegedly being neglected or abused that fall within the Child Abuse/Neglect Law.  This assessment is completed by a licensed social worker to determine what, if any, services are needed to protect and promote the safe and well-being and permanence of children.  All individuals making a report of concern of a child are protected by law and are kept confidential.


Respite Care Services

Provides temporary child care for families with disabled children, including chronically or terminally ill children, children with serious behavioral or emotional difficulties, and drug-affected children.   Intended to provide care givers with periods of temporary relief from the pressures of caring for children.


Safety/Permanency Funds

Flexible funding for rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation to services, etc., which is available from local county social service offices to families who are having difficulties and are at risk of their children being placed out of home.  This funding can be used for such things as Strength-Based Planning Wraparound Process. This is a planning process used by county social service offices, the child, and family to help them set up individualized community services.


Wraparound Case Management

Wraparound is a strength based philosophy of care that includes a definable process involving the child and family that results in a unique set of community services and supports individualized for that child and family.


Health Tracks

North Dakota Health Tracks (formerly EPSDT) is a preventive health program that is free for children ages 0 to 21 who are eligible for Medicaid. Health Tracks pays for screenings, diagnosis, and treatment services to help prevent health problems from occurring or help keep health problems from becoming worse. Health Tracks also pays for orthodontics (teeth braces), glasses, hearing aids, vaccinations, counseling and other important health services. Health tracks will help schedule appointments for services and will also help with finding transportation to the services.


Financial Assistance Programs:

All financial assistance programs are administered by Eligibility workers.  Financial assistance programs help many low income individuals and families who are working toward self-sufficiency.


TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)

Provides the basic minimums for food, clothing and shelter for children who are deprived of those needs due to death, desertion, separation, or disability of one or both parents.  Income and assets are considered for eligibility.  Time limit of 60 month to receive this program.


JOBS (Job Opportunities and Basic Skills)

Provides education, training, child care, and incentives towards employment.


Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

This program is intended to assist individuals and families with the purchasing of food.  Eligibility is based on income and assets.


Child Care Assistance

Provides assistance to low income families who are employed and/or a possibility of child care for those attending college to meet their child care expenses.  Eligibility is based on the number of individuals in the household and the household’s monthly gross income.


Low Income Home Energy/Emergency Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Benefits are all Federal funds.  Program is available from October 1st through May 31st each year to help with heating costs.  Eligibility is based on income and assets.



Referred to as MA or Medical Assistance.  The purpose of this program is to provide assistance for persons whose income and resources are not sufficient to meet the cost of necessary medical expenses or long term care.  Income and assets are considered for eligibility. Different coverage’s include Family, Medically Needy, Aged, Disabled, Children with Disabilities, Worker with Disabilities, Medicare Savings, etc.


Healthy Steps

Healthy Steps insurance is for children who do not have health insurance coverage, are 18 years of age or younger, do not qualify for the North Dakota Medicaid Program, and live in families with qualifying incomes.


Basic Care Assistance

Payment to basic care facility to supplement an individual’s income to meet the rate for “Basic Care,” or Rest Home Care.  Individuals must be eligible for Medicaid to receive Basic Care Assistance.


Subsidized Adoption

Provides financial assistance to assure the adoption of children whose handicap, age, sibling group, or minority background might otherwise prevent their adoption.


Toll Free Numbers and Links to Various Services

North Dakota Department of Human Services   1-800-472-2622:

~Aging Services                            1-855-462-5465

~Children and Family Services        1-800-245-3736

~Economic Assistance                   1-800-755-2716

~Medical Services                         1-800-155-2604


ND Child Support                                 1-800-755-2671

Lake Region Child Support                    1-888-906-5374

Lake Region Human Service Center        1-888-607-8610

Ask-A-Nurse (24 hours)                        1-800-552-0190

Domestic Violence                                1-800-472-2911

Housing Discrimination                         1-800-424-8590

North Dakota Job Service (Devils Lake)   1-800-247-0982

Legal Aide of ND                                  1-800-634-5263

Mental Health Services                          1-800-755-2719

Red Cross                                            1-800-252-6747

Senior Info Services                              1-800-832-0120

Social Security Administration                 1-800-772-1213

Substance Abuse Services                      1-800-642-6042

Suicide Prevention                                1-800-472-2911

Vulnerable Adult Protective Services   1-855-462-5465


To report suspected child abuse and/or neglect, please call 1-833-958-3500

To apply for services, go to (click on apply for help tab)


Aging and Senior Resources for Communities in North Dakota: and

~ Login ~